Wednesday, August 13, 2009
Swimming a pastime followed by millions the world over, but due to religious restrictions has been a limited leisure time option for Muslim women.
Now all that has changed in France with the release of the
It’s being worn in many locations all over the European country by thousands of Arabian women
• In Paris a Muslim woman who tried to go swimming in a head-to-toe "burquini" has been banned from her local pool in the city
• There is an ongoing disconnection between religious practices and secular authority in France
• The 35-year-old woman convert to Islam identified only as Carole, complained of religious discrimination after trying to go swimming in her burquini in the Paris suburb of Emerainville
• Quote by the daily Le Parisien newspaper published that she had bought the burquini after deciding "it would allow me the pleasure of bathing without showing too much of myself, as Islam recommends."
• Religious attire is a hot topic in France, head-to-toe burqas and/or other full-body coverings worn by Muslim fundamentalists are officially disapproved
• Swimming policies are that swimmers are not allowed to wear street-compatible or baggy clothing, such as Bermuda shorts, in favor of figure-hugging suits
The fundamental question is will the French Government ban the Burquini!
Watch This Space !